Thursday, July 10, 2014

How To Clean Your Makeup Brushes With Household Items

They're something we use almost every single day and probably the most neglected..OUR MAKEUP BRUSHES!

I admit it. I, myself, have a tendency to forget to wash my makeup brushes from time to time. Which, if you think about it, is kinda nasty because of how easily they can collect bacteria and then we rub them on our clean faces and near our eyes. This can cause breakouts or even eye infections.

I'm trying to get in the habit of washing my brushes once every two weeks, or at least once a month. Plus, every time you give them a good deep cleaning, it's as if you have a whole new set of brushes! I used to just wash my brushes with some of my regular face wash, then I tried using actual brush cleaner (Bare Minerals) but even after I did that, it still seemed as if there was makeup residue that just didn't wanna budge.

Then one day, while on set of a commercial, a makeup artist gave me a super helpful tip to try using olive oil. So I went home and tried this concoction that I'm sure some of you may have already heard of, but if not, get ready for the magic!

Things you will need:
1. Olive Oil (Extra Virgin Olive Oil will work too)
2. Dish Soap
3. Face Wash
4. Mixing Bowl or Plate
5. Dry Paper Towel



Step 1:
In a small mixing bowl add one capful of Olive Oil, 2 pumps of dish soap and I added one pump of my face wash, just for more anti-bacterial fighting power!



Step 2: 
Mix dirty brush in cleaning solution and then rub the brush back and forth on the palm of your hand. Continue to scrub and rinse clean under sink until the water runs clear. Be sure to be extra gentle when scrubbing goat hair brushes, as the hairs could fall out.



Step 3:
Rinse under HOT water to kill any left over bacteria and to melt any makeup buildup left behind.



Step 4:
Reshape damp brushes with finger tips and lay on a paper towel to dry. (preferably overnight)

Here's an example of just how effective this technique is. This is my FAVORITE foundation brush from Sigma that I can never seem to get clean, until now! 




This picture may not do justice, but the bristles on the right are white again, like the day I bought the brush.

This is a great way of maintaining your brushes, especially for those who invest in expensive ones. The olive oil keeps your brushes conditioned and soft, while the soap fights any bacteria and keeps them nice and clean :)

Cheers, dolls!
Xx,

No comments:

Post a Comment